Shane and I aren’t usually the type of people to sit and eat a salad for lunch – we’d usually have a little salad with a BBQ or some pizza, but not just a plate of salad. The other day it was pretty warm and sunny out and for some strange reason I just wanted a big plate of chicken salad for lunch! I just used whatever was leftover in our fridge from previous dinners that week and got a nice little harvest of spinach and rocket from our garden, so it’s pretty simple and quick to throw together! My favourite part though? The dressing! So good!
for the salad –
– 2 chicken thighs/breasts (you could just use leftover chicken from a previous night’s dinner)
– handful baby tomatoes, halved
– 3 spring onions, finely chopped
– 1 beetroot (mine was leftover which had been cooked in water which I finely sliced, but you could just grate an uncooked one too)
– handful of spinach leaves
– handful of rocket leaves
– 1/2 ball mozarella, shredded
In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix. I added the beetroot last, just so everything didn’t turn a lovely shade of purple haha! I then mixed in a little extra virgin olive oil and served it up with a bowl of dressing on the side, or you could mix it in beforehand.
to make the dressing –
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 1 tsp honey
– pinch of garlic salt
– freshly ground black pepper
– little bit of freshly chopped parsley (optional)
Whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl starting with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey to create a nice base. If it’s too tangy from the vinegar or too runny, try adding a little more olive oil, but not so much that you can taste the oil – if it’s too oily, give it a taste and add a little more balsamic/honey, then serve it up or drizzle it over the salad and mix in well.