This may just be the most amazing cake ever. Chocolate Gateau is one of the only cakes that I actually like – I think its more the cream and cherries masking the taste of the cake (I’m not a cake fan hah). The other day I was just craving a homemade chocolate gateau so looked for a simple looking recipe and came across this one. It is seriously like the most easiest recipe and it even came out ok, and thats something of an achievement for me since I can’t bake cakes to save my life haha! Let me know if you make it!
For the cake
200g dark chocolate
300g plain flour
375g caster sugar
25g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 medium eggs
425g pitted cherries (or frozen morello cherries), reserving some of the juice
100g morello cherry jam
500ml double cream
3 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Put the butter and 75g of chocolate into a small pan and heat gently till completely melted.
2. Mix the dry cake ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
3. Pour the melted chocolate and egg/buttermilk mix into the dry ingredients and add 100ml boiling water then whisk briefly with an electric whisk till the batter is lump free.
4. Divide the mix between 3 x 20cm cake tins (that have been greased or lined with greasproof paper) and bake for 20-25 minutes (until a scewer comes out clean).
5. Prick the cakes a few times with a scewer and pour over a little of the leftover cherry juice onto each cake and leave to cool.
5. Meanwhile, mix together the cherries and jam. Pour 200ml cream into a small pan and heat till just before boiling point, then pour over the remaining 125g chocolate and stir till melted then leave to cool.
6. Whisk the remaining 300ml cream and icing sugar till softly whipped then spread over two of the cooled cakes, then top with the jammy cherry mix. Stack the cakes and spread the chocolate cream mix over the top cake then place some fresh cherries on top (or some reserved from the can/frozen cherries) and serve.